Skip to main content

Overcoming Your Fear


Overcoming Your Fear

Firstly, I'm going to offer up a host of platitudes:

“One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”
~Andre Gide
“Do one thing every day that scares you.”
~Eleanor Roosevelt
“No man ever achieved worth-while success who did not, at one time or another, find himself with at least one foot hanging well over the brink of failure.”
~Napoleon Hill
“He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy."
~Dale Carnegie

Actually, that last one is my real springboard ... ;o7

Here's the key to overcoming fear:
DO!
Fear isn't actually supposed to be the crippling emotion we allow it to be. 
It's a driving force. 
It's an energy source to be capitalized on!

If you're feeling fearful about aspects of your life, lucky you!  
Now you have some force to drive you.
And the way to overcome fear is to get in action.

This happened to me many years ago, when I gave up my stable, nay, stellar, job of 20 years to pursue my dreams.
It scared the heck out of me!
I've grown every day since then. But, more's the point, I'm happy! And my happiness grows more and more, the more I listen to my heart and not my head.

Safety is an ILLUSION ...
Knowing what's going to happen next is also an illusion ...
... so why not do what makes you the happiest?

Triumph and Disaster, as Kipling so well put it, are both impostors.
Action is the only thing that creates a life.
Allow what you really want to guide you in that action.

Because the only wrong decisions that we have EVER made, are the ones we made that went against what we really wanted.

––
The above was a reply I gave to a friend in a private discussion, but the concept itself is nothing private and I thought others might benefit from it.
 


–––––
Love posting to themes? You might enjoy these great themes with excellent curators! Themes and hashtags are not necessarily about getting more attention, but are a valuable indexing method, which help others find relevant posts via clickable links as well as a great way to meet like-minded people. I tend to only promote those themes with active, caring curators.

#SkySunday with thanks to Randy Scherkenbach and +Patrick Scherkenbach

#BreakfastClub with huge thanks to Gemma Costa and Breakfast Club
10000 PHOTOGRAPHERS / #10000photographersaroundtheworld  with thanks to Robert SKREINER
#promotephotography with thanks to Nikola Nikolski Naghmeh Khadembashi Gittan Beheydt Milena Ilieva and Promote Photography
#TheMagicOfLight  The Magic of Light with thanks to Ray Bilcliff

#LandscapePhotography with thanks to Margaret Tompkins Carra Riley Jim Warthman David Heath Williams Kevin Rowe and Landscape Photography


#rgwoodpost #canonphotography #canonphotographer #digitalphotography #naturephotography #inspiration #color #colors #fineart #fineartpls #landscapeart #light  #MondayMotivation



▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Please feel free to ask me,
if you would like any of my images 
available for print at robingriggswood.com

Comments

  1. Such shapely clouds with wonderful colors :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quotes and thoughts in your post. I like the way you make such different things as life philosophy vs seagull joke. I guess that come with your photographer skills: looking for contrasts.
    You made me laugh yesterday and you make me think today. Thank you for that. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin Griggs Wood! I'm so at this point right now!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts words and images with the #landscapephotography theme :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the gorgeous sky!!  Beautiful! Thanks for sharing with the #LandscapePhotography theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a wonderful capture!  i like emerson myself...but Dale, makes you feel if your doing it....then you are not a casualty...i love doing .....hugs! robin!..".can't hit a moving target"....mary g cadigan......smiles...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So inspiring Robin Griggs Wood !  Thanks you my dear.  The image is just fabulous too!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo to go with wonderful inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dusty Gedge -- thank you ... :o)
    Donna Cluny Gardner -- thank you!
    Naghmeh Khadembashi -- thank you, dear ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jean-Philippe Jouve -- I like to elevate people's moods; some do better with laughter and some with a little inspiration for their current difficulty. For myself, I like both! ... ;o)). Thanks for the great comment and kind words, my friend ... :o)
    David Heath Williams -- Oh, I'm so glad! ... I knew there was someone out there who needed it today ... ;o)). And thank you, my friend!
    Margaret Tompkins -- thank you so much, dearest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mary g Cadigan -- great comment! ... and thank you, dear .. :o)
    Steve Savoie -- I'm glad you think so, and thank you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christin McLeod -- I love you, too, dear! Follow your heart, (because, after all, yours is an exceptionally good one ... ;o)) for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paul Paradis -- merci ... :o)
    Alain Moreau -- thank you
    lez stryker -- thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Todd Hatcher -- thank you so much!!!
    amy campbell -- thank you, kindly!
    Christine Moser -- thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!  Excellent words to live by.  I am a great fan of Dale Carnigie and Napoleon Hill.  What would my life have been like if I had missed out on their valuable lessons.  Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and I hope they serve to inspire others :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey beautiful sight and I always love when the cloud tell stories

    ReplyDelete
  16. Intense sky!
    I think there are whole lot of people who want to feel scared or be fearful of something. They like the comfort of someone else looking out for them so they don't have to do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. why do I feel as though this relates to the message I sent you yesterday!?  lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the Emerson quote. I had not seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It really looks like Fire in the sky

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rodolfo Seide -- thank you, my friend!
    Laura Ockel -- thank you for your kind comment ... :o)
    Lance Porter -- :o)
    Marek Górecki -- thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eddy Rademaker -- thanks, my friend! And you are SO right about that!
    Marina Versaci -- thank you so much, dear!
    Michael Walch -- thank you!
    Craig Szymanski -- :o))

    ReplyDelete
  22. *dashes off to read Sandra Parlow's message* Haha, well, I had actually written this for someone else long before that, but you can use this one, if you like ... ;oD

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shelly Gunderson -- thank you, dear!
    Sue Robb -- thank you
    D Flores -- :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely image Robin Griggs Wood and thank you for the inspiring read my friend.    :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good advice Robin.

    I'd possibly add (from my own experience) that knowing your shortcomings is a good thing too. To clarify that let me explain my situation.

    I've often been asked why I haven't gone into business for myself and my usual answer is that it's because "I'm a coward" and the other answer is because "I'm too nice". I then quantify that by explaining what I mean. Ergo, I do a job for you (for example) and irrespective of what it is I present my bill for £300. You then go 'how much' and I just know that I'd instantly say "Oh ok, call it £150".

    Instant financial suicide. Now everyone else may not be quite so clear cut but that's mine ...! So I know I'd need to be in business with a.n.other that could be the hard nosed money person that I simply won't be.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Marvelous image with a great read, what else can a person want, thanks for sharing !!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it all, Robin Griggs Wood - quotes, image and thoughts. Thank you dear Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stuart Dyckhoff -- I'm just like that, too! I think we, and many others like us, are very empathetic people––and follow the "Golden Rule" a little to deeply (in trying to do to others just as we would want to have done to ourselves.) While I try to put as much of my "learned in life" wisdom in every post (), I could add, for folks in our same boat, that the most successful people also surround themselves with people who support and balance their own strengths. And I do see your empathy as a strength. But, yes, we could both do with some ruthless negotiators by our sides ... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tom McGowan -- thank you, my friend ... I'm glad you liked it ... :o)
    Giselle Savoie -- thank you so much, dear!
    Ellie Kennard -- thank you, too, dear!
    Scott Horvath -- thank you, my friend!
    Andrej Stepanov -- thank you ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very beautiful image.  Thanks for sharing for #SkySunday

    ReplyDelete
  31. Randy Scherkenbach -- thank you so much, my friend!
    Pearl Lukowski and Nimi Rajesh -- thank you

    ReplyDelete
  32. How true, how true! I'm in the same boat as Stuart, you and so many others I gues .... :o) but apart from the fact, that I love to be in the same boat with you ;-) I have the same opinion, that it's an Illusion to know what will be tomorrow, so let's be happy today! How? Just look at this wonderful image, the colors, the sky ...... :o)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are most welcome ♥ Robin Griggs Wood

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fear has only a value if a present time danger is right in front of us, I would call it "to be scared" then (and perhaps healthy), to not mix all together into the term fear. Fear is pure phantasy.

    If one has fear, be happy and celebrate, because you have a proof that your imagination is really good and powerful. Use it for positive creations instead.

    Then, say good bye to the fear which is projected in the future, because it has no reason to exist in the first place there, no one knows the future, and it comes always unexpected.

    Our bodies are designed to heal, we do not run around with all the scratches we got as child anymore. Healed. If we life "healthy" we heal.

    Fear is like a wound that never heals. Like cutting us at the same place over and over again. It is not supposed to be that way. 

    Design a new future, if you need something to have already in the future. To think about the most horrible thing that might happen, will attracted it. Like having a schedule to cut yourself next friday. Create the best and you focus on it automatically. My best wishes :o)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love reading your words of wisdom and this photo is drop dead gorgeous! Robin Griggs Wood

    ReplyDelete
  36. Stuart Dyckhoff that sounds like my business model too. Like the saying goes nice guys finish last :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ursula Klepper -- thank you for your wonderful comment, dear! .... xo!
    Sassi Sassmannshausen -- so well said, dear! ... :o)*
    Pam Wolfe -- thank you so much, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  38. George Fletcher -- thank you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!