Skip to main content

Revealing Your Vision -- Part 2


Revealing Your Vision -- Part 2

At my post a couple of days ago (part 1, here: https://plus.google.com/+RobinGriggsWood/posts/2pVyWXQHLDg), some interesting ideas were brought up in the comments and I felt I should address those in a new post, because I think many more people could benefit from the concepts.

Being Paralyzed or Being Lazy

You know this one; you're stuck. Nothing has changed in ages and it's the same old problems staying put or repeating themselves over and over. There are times it feels as if you are completely paralyzed by all the problems. You can't seem to overcome them. 

You would rather play video games, watch TV, or surf the Internet for interesting memes and diverting conversation then try to tackle those problems yet again! Sometimes, you are told by others (or yourself) that you are just being lazy because you're not getting a handle on your life. Oh, that one bites hard!

Why does being told you are lazy bite so hard? Why does it make you feel so miserable?
Because it's not the truth! (We humans become very uncomfortable around untruths.)
That term "laziness" is about 95% inaccurate (and my observation feels that it is closer to 100%). Much of laziness is actually "overwhelm" (and is the same overwhelm that is behind the feeling of being "paralyzed" described above).

This is an overwhelming world we live in. Having an overload of problems to overcome creates inaction because, well, where does one start? The "lazy" label gets used too much and––this one is key––it is the wrong answer because it doesn't resolve the situation. Accurately perceived solutions, when implemented, solve problems and make them go away. Inaccurately perceived "solutions" actually cannot be implemented, so they don't make the problem go away and, what is worse, they divert one's attention from the possibility of finding the real solution. Once you slap a label on it, it's a done deal, right? ("Oh, I know your problem … you're just being lazy!" … but if you accept that as the "solution" why doesn't it make you want to get up off your butt and solve everything at once? Because it's not the right answer.)

"Overwhelm" is the right answer, if you feel "paralyzed" by your problems, think you are lazy or just feel "stuck" in your life.

Solving Overwhelm

What is "overwhelm"?
Metaphorically speaking, you're underneath a pile of rocks so high that you can't move.
Would you call a guy who is underneath a pile of rocks "lazy" for not bursting out of it in an instant? No, you wouldn't … ;o7

One solution for overwhelm is the list-writing I covered in my earlier post (http://goo.gl/Bb5K8M). Because the antidote to the inaction brought about by overwhelm is action. Even the tiniest bit of action starts to break the hold that overwhelm has upon you. Writing out a list as described in the post is actually a first action. The interesting thing about feeling "paralyzed" is, by it's very nature, it is a "no motion" thing. No motion is no action and list-writing is an action that starts to unburden you, allowing you to compartmentalize all the stuff that is stuck (no motion) and helps you see some of the things that you can "unstick" right now. If you are terribly overwhelmed, pick things on the list in the column next to your goals that are the easiest ones to do first. The cool thing about that is, you will be starting to create some motion at least. And a bit of motion has the potential to beget more motion––simply because your load is starting to lighten.

Motion is the natural force of life. And, it is so effective, that it is actually a great tool for many things. At one point in my life, I suffered from debilitating depression. A friend of mine passed along something that was passed along to her. When depressed, force yourself to jump out of bed the second you wake up in the morning, then move through your morning routine as fast as you can. I looked like an idiot brushing my teeth like I was in the dental Olympics … ;oD ... but it worked like a charm to get me through each day. I recognize that this may not work for everyone, yet it still is a fair example of the potential motion has as a tool to kickstart one's life.

Your Vision

"Ah, c'mon Robin, I read your post, but isn't that 'vision' thing just some airy-fairy, metaphysical crap that 'positive thinkers' dole out like useless candy all the time?!"

Well, having one's "vision" manifesting itself today is actually how we humans are wired.
Case in point, how many times have you made a mistake working at something because you didn't have your full attention on it? We create what we have our attention on and, conversely, don't create well what we don't have our attention on. It is no different for the greater, long term goals we have in our lives.

One of the points brought up in the discussion was about "knowing" that a specific goal was unachievable because it was impossible. And that brings one right back to being "stuck".

When you are writing out your list of goals, it important to know that one's primary goals are not THINGS. One's primary goals for a life vision should be based on standards (convictions, morals, precepts, etc.) and the circumstances surrounding those.
For example: Joe may write "have Amy as a my girlfriend" as one of his "goals" in the main column. He now has the potential to be completely thwarted in that goal, because of the "impossibility" factor. If Amy doesn't happen to have him as one of her goals, Joe is "stuck" again. However, if Joe were to take a good look at the aspects of Amy that make him want her, he is now getting closer to the mark. He is now basing his vision for what he wants in life on his standards. He may like blonds, he may like sexy, nice and friendly women, qualities Amy possesses. But as he starts to look further at this goal, based on his standards alone, he may also find that he wants a companion that wants him. A characteristic that Amy may not possess. The cool thing about this is, once Joe starts basing this life goal on standards instead of a specific person, possibilities show themselves that may never have occurred to him. Perhaps someone better walks into his life because his focus was directed at his overall standards, and not narrowed by looking at a singular person.

So, getting the new Porsche you want is not actually a "goal" on your list -- "not having a new Porsche" could be one of those things that you write to the side of your actual goal (not having it could be a barrier). But, there may be other barriers to your actual goal as well, and you have to get rid of all of them. Phrase your goal based on your standards, for example "To be able to get anywhere in a vehicle that is comfortable, fast, beautiful and safe." (Or something like that … you get to figure out the wording … ;o7) And, maybe, a Porsche doesn't really answer your goal after all, maybe something else does. "Things" are secondary goals and, when you maintain your focus on your primary goal, you may find some of those things aren't what you wanted after all.

Once you align your life vision with your own standards, it makes it possible for you to see more options, alternatives and other courses of action beyond the attainment of a singular "thing".

One's "vision" for their life is actually so much broader than most people conceive. It's composed primarily of overall standards and rarely things. Remain true to your standards alone and it has the potential to unlock creative solutions that you may never have considered.





––––––––––––––––––––

#rgwoodpost #photography #googleplusphotos   #LandscapePhotography #ThirstyThursdayPics  
#CoastalThursday #motivation   #motivational     #hqsplandscape

Comments

  1. 宇宙の空要素をすっぽりと包容するもの、海。アヌルッバ。

    ReplyDelete
  2. You so ROCK!  Oh - look....rocks! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin Griggs Wood Truly thought-provoking and inspiring! Thank you so much, Robin! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, Lauri Novak .. love you, dear! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jasbir S. Randhawa -- you're welcome, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay.. i'll admit it. 
    i didn't take the time to read what you wrote.  
    it would take all day for me to sound out all those big words. 
    but this photo make me stop dead in my virtual tracks.  
    le sigh
    just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's OK, kimberton pemberly, it may be that the words weren't what you needed today ... :o)) (I'm so long-winded sometimes, it daunts even me! ... ;oD) ... thank you for the sweet words about the image. .... xo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this "series".It's stuff I already knew but wasn't putting into context. I had blinders on. I feel I'm in a state of perpetual overwhelm. I don't feel lazy, per se, and I don't think many would call me that. I am often on the go in one way or another - i do stuff so that I don't feel lazy. But I am often very unproductive, which I would go so far as to say is the cousin of lazy. Same mechanism, different appearance. It's fueled by overwhelm. I kinda beat around the bush of my goals because I don't really know what to do to get there. I have an idea, but it seems soooo far out of the realm of possibility and the immediate actions are not apparent to me. And I'm a loner, often not asking for help. I'm an open invite for overwhelm. Wash, rinse, repeat. Anyway, thanks for the AHA! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the post, will use it to motivate, however, the photo makes me want to run away to the beach and ignore everything else :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool, Christin McLeod! I like your association with "unproductive" as the result of overwhelm. That's a great observation. I hadn't really intended this as a series, but people brought up so many points in the comments of the last one, I thought they could help others. 
    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shawn McClure -- thank you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth Lund -- beaches are good places for writing lists for a life vision. #justsayin  ... ;o7

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robin, I love this. Could you send me part 1? thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dawn Sweet -- the link for the first post is in my post above, or you can just go to my profile stream and scroll down to this Tuesday's post ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Daniel Peckham -- glad you liked it! ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love it when you do posts like these, Robin Griggs Wood - I've found many of them, including this one, to be extremely helpful in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad to hear that, Simos Xenakis, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's good to be constantly motivated. Just because the wheel of fortune rotates continuously ... 
    Thanks for the wonderful post Robin, and have a wonderful day my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome! Thank you for this Robin Griggs Wood  (sharing this to myself to go back to) :)))

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is something I know in my bones, but forget from time to time. Thank you.

    For me, sometimes, the best way to break out of "overwhelmed" is to pick up the damned camera and shoot something - not with expectations of getting a great or even usable photograph, but just trying things out. Spending an hour working on a technical challenge (learning the settings on my new speedlight, for instance) can start the creative juices flowing again.

    I did just that last night. Mind you, I played something like 20 games of solitaire before I could force myself up from the computer ... but it was satisfying, and now I know how to do something that was stalling me on an actual creative project, and feel ready to face that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are one of my favorite photographers and your talent with words is extraordinary... you are an artist in every shape way and form! Love your work Robin Griggs Wood and this piece should be published, truly!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What I like best about this post is that it gave me a different way to think about the things I will put on my list. Because in truth, I don't necessarily want a new couch so much as I want the living room to look nice (as an example). What you wrote gets me to thinking about the nucleus of a goal. 
    I might have written "go to the gym regularly" but I hate the gym where I currently have membership. The real nucleus of my goal is to be strong and fit and that might mean changing gyms or finding other activities that fit me better. Ha! I'm not lazy after all!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Christina Lihani Splendid, Christina! I was told that if I joined a gym, I would lose weight! Six months later, it was status quo! Till someone told me that I had to actually GO to the gym! :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that G+ lets you write as many words as required to tell a story or express a belief for others to read and hopefully learn a little bit from.
    Now if there was only a way to click something that will add this post to say a "favorites" folder to come back to when needed, that would be truly awesome, like this post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. April Hill -- hey, who said it was "long-winded"?!! ... oh, yeah ... I did ... ... and I like your goal! (Because if you don't take care of #1, nothing else will matter ... ;o))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Andreas Levi -- :o)) ... thank you so much, my friend ... and you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brad Buckmaster -- I'm so glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pat Kight -- I forget, too ... that's why I write this stuff ... ;o7.. Your comment is such a perfect example of action and how it begets more ... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Paul Deatherage -- ah, thank you so much for saying that ... and the encouragement that may make me write that book finally! ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great post Robin Griggs Wood I hope it will pull people away from under the pile of rocks. Some random thoughts:

    To just continue to do what "you" do might be the most lazy option one can have. To show signs of stress camouflage this kind of laziness most of the time (inertia). Doing nothing is not the greatest laziness!

    Actively doing nothing is sometimes a harder job, than to stay in this hidden kind of laziness. ;o)

    Life might show up as overwhelming,  especially when one has a lot of 3rd party vision collected (perhaps from TV ads ;o)

    None of such visions are real or the true visions. So they have perhaps the same urge to be realized: mostly none, but they sound good if presented to others (... and so these "visions" survive).

    Overwhelming situations are given when the differentiation among all things in their importance is not given, and if they look kind of equal. If one has only one vision, it it easy. 

    The key is to find the ones that belong really to "you" and not to the mainstream. Observe yourself while you do something; observe how often you smile. After a while you know what is real for you. Focus on that. The laziness will vanish by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Christina Lihani -- ah, "nucleus" what a great word for it!! (Wish I'd thought of that!! ... ;oD) dashes off to edit post The rest of your comment illustrates it perfectly! ... and your last words made me a little misty-eyed, because that it just what I wanted people to get out of it, to know they are not "broken" after all ... :o). Hugs, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think I'm going to test the toothbrush routine.....and I'll just tell my husband he needs to read your post to figure out why....and yes, I enjoyed every word of this...lots of relevance ..thanks, Robin Griggs Wood

    ReplyDelete
  33. Chris Rademaker -- you're welcome ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Chris Bagley -- thanks for saying that! (And my little trick to "favorite" a post, because that stupid extension I used to use crashed all the time ... ;o7 ... I made a private [unsearchable] Community here on G+ with just me in it. I just click the share button now and share it only with my "Saved posts" community. Works great! ... :o)).

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sassi Sassmannshausen -- great additional points you made to the topic, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Denise Baxter Yoder -- heehee!! And I'm glad you enjoyed it ... :o). Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Another excellent post full of wisdom and insight.  I like your idea of keeping objects outside of the definition of vision and goals.  I think I have actually been doing that but was not conscious of it until reading your words.  Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the tip :)
    Going to do that myself Robin Griggs Wood

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow what a beautiful & inspiring piece of writing..
    I feel quite emotional now...
    Love the pic 2..

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awesome post Robin, the distinction between goals and "things" was so well illustrated!  Thank you for caring!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you Robin Griggs Wood for sharing your inspiring words and image. I don't feel as paralyzed today. I got up and did something then as a consequence of this action I may have a good job. This one action created a potential for a bigger and better action. I do need to do the list for the long term vision but for the short term immediate need i have, today made me feel much less "paralyzed". Big smiles for you  :))) and a {{{Hug}}}

    ReplyDelete
  42. Robin Griggs Wood I have good words (and sometimes short phrases). I wish I could string them all together in ways that are so infinity helpful as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This truly reminds me of #gmapp3  Robin Griggs Wood. I remember starting to read your texts as soon as I was receiving them and I just could not stop. I was drawn in them. Great writing again. Thanks for making us think about the subjects your are rising. It is like little seeds you are planting ;) One day or the other, the little seeds will grow bigger and bigger! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Matt Wachowski -- well, I never implied that my own truths were necessarily original ... ;oD ... it's awesome that you are are already doing that. I write these things mostly to remind myself and I am very glad when it affirms something you already know. Thanks for the kind words, my friend ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Gail Lee -- i'm so glad you think so ... and thank you ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Karin Bronner -- you're so welcome! ... hug!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Tom McGowan -- oh, I am so happy to read that, my friend! Big hug back!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Ana Coelho -- I'm so glad ... you're welcome ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Christina Lihani -- aw, thank you so much for saying that, dear. I wish I could do it more facilely (it took me over two hours to write that this morning, hrrmpf! ... ;oD), but I do write directly from my heart. I'm learning as I go ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Guillaume Desachy -- Oh, I was so hoping at least one of you was reading them!! ... hahaha! Thank you so much for your kind words, my friend! ... hug!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Robin Griggs Wood I have even more stuff for tomorrow. I refuse to feel that way anymore. :))

    ReplyDelete
  52. I keep coming back to this. Right now, my own inaction (photographically speaking) is a result of too much action in other areas ... I've been working like a madwoman in my other passion, theatre, and finding it difficult to shift focus back to photography. That's all wrapped up, though, and tomorrow is a holiday, so I have hope...

    ReplyDelete
  53. Well, no one said your entire life has to be about photography, Pat Kight. As long as you are working toward goals and not feeling stuck, it's all good! ... :o) (Gosh, I haven't done theatre in ages! It used to be a passion of mine, too ... :o))

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thanks, Robin. This is thought provoking and leads me to action! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  55. You're so welcome, Ellie Kennard ... :o)* (<–- and that may just be a kiss on the neck for all I know now ... ;o7 ... <–– but that one's a smirk ... ;oD)

    ReplyDelete
  56. And this is the hugest grin, dear Robin Griggs Wood :D
    You never know where these pearls of yours land...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!